Here we have three original tintypes of Jesse James. In photo A Jesse appears to be a young man but of course he only lived to be 34 so all photos of Jesse James are of him as a young man. The photo on the right is an historically accepted photo of Jesse James in his battleshirt at the age of sixteen. In that photo you will notice that there is a diagonal slash mark across the tip of his nose distorting the end of his nose and making it appear to be crooked or deformed. Once you realize this imperfection in the photo you can then see that the noses are the same in both photos.
Jesse James, Jessie James, Jessee James
Link to an Ambrotype of Jesse James that was owned by Jesse James Jr.:
Link to Jesse James' Death Mask:
The tinype image below owned by The Ellison Collection was used in the History Channel Documentary Jesse James' Hidden Treasure
In photo B he looks to be about thirty years of age. This tintype photo was probably taken shortly before his death but while he was still living in Nashville. When he move back to St. Joseph he probably grew the full beard to help hide his idenitity.
In Photo C Jesse appears to be in his mid twenties.
Jesse James has several very distinguishing facial factors used to identify him. You can use the comparison photos to see these as I describe them to you.
1. He has a sharp diagonal line unlike anybody I've ever seen that runs along his cheek bone from the top of his ear downward to his chin at a much greater decline than most people's cheek bone. (See below and photo A)This is what gives Jesse that very V shaped face in many of his portraits when he was thin from recovering from his wounds. This feature can be seen in most known photos of Jesse but as far as I know has never been written about until now.
2. He has a cleft in his chin that also can be seen in many of his known photos as in one of my photos.
3. If you look closely at the photo of Jesse in his battle shirt you can see that between his eyebrows on the bridge of his nose he has vertical curved lines at the beginning of each eyebrow. This feature can easily be seen in my tintype of Jesse wearing the dark suit. (The one on the home page is clearer)
4. Jesse's mouth tends to tilt to one side as do his eyes. If you look closely you can see that his features on one side are squeezed together more that the other side.
5. Jesse has rather boxy shaped ears with an almost double earlobe that offsets slightly.
6. Jesse's mouth tilts to one side as in his battle shirt photo. His battle shirt photo is said to be doctored around the mouth area making his mouth appear to be narrower that it really was.
Remember as you do your own research that most of my photos are tintypes which are reverse images. Some of the known photos of Jesse may or may not be reverse images so take this into consideration if it looks like the features are offset to the wrong side such as Jesse's cleft chin. It is slightly off center on his face so it could look like it is off center to the left or right depending on the type of photo it is.
The portrait drawing below is of Jesse James and Zee Mimms Wedding picture.
Link to known photo of Jesse and Zee, Back Row, Right:
The Ellison Collection
Known photo of Zee in Mourning